Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My D-Day

Finally some photos about one of the most important days of my life during 2009 - the day I defended my thesis to apply the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).
It was indeed a long but exciting day. It started in the morning with nervous feelings - will everything go smoothly? Will I remember to say everything I wanted during my presentation? Will I be able to answer all the questions asked by the committee?
Then, after I tried to calm myself down, it was time to go to the university and do it.
The Defence Photo: The very first photo, when the defence hadn't started, yet.
Photo: The people who have come to listen tome. The committee hasn't sit in their right places, yet.
Photo: My presentation is over and I'm answering the questions of opponents. Next to me, you can see the Dean of our faculty.
Photo: After voting, the Dean is reading the decision.... and it's positive :)
Photo: Now it's time for congratulations - she is my supervisor's wife (also my former co-worker)
Photo: Congratulations and flowers by our secretary Elviira. And you can see my supervisor on this photo, too
Photo: Leaving the defence room with my flowers
Photo: I and Erik and my flowers
Photo: All the flowers I got - and now already at home

Celebrations afterwards
After the defence, I had a small banquet for the people who participated in the defence - with the champagne, cake, fruits and coffee.
Photo: My co-worker Henn is opening the champagne
Photo: And the celebrations can start!
Photo: My co-worker Marina, Erik and I during the banquet

After the banquet, I invited the supervisors, opponents and my family to the restaurant in the Old Town of Tallinn. We went to a lovely Italian restaurant and everyone had great time.
Photo: Supervisors, Erik, my mom and me after the lovely dinner in the Old Town of Tallinn.
In July 4, I had a big party for all of my friends and relatives. It was a garden party at my home and besides my Estonian friends, also my dear Finnish friend Minna participated in it.
Photo: My friends and family during the party in July 4.
Photo: Erik's special Ph.D cake for me! :)

5 comments:

Marta said...

congratulations Doctor Karin!! ;)
best wishes for your career

Karin said...

Thanks, Marta! :)

Annette said...

Congratulations:D

Martina said...

Congratulations Doctor Reinhold!! You have been working so hard and so this is a very special day!!! Enjoy!

Karin said...

Thank you, girls! :) It feels so good to be on holiday now...