Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Films I've seen in 2009 - Vol II

THE WRESTLER
Writer: Robert D. Siegel
Director: Darren Aronofsky
Cast: Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood
My vote: 4/5
- A drama about an aging professional wrestler, decades past his prime, who now barely earns his living by working small wrestling shows and as a part-time grocery store employee. As he faces health problems that may end his wrestling career for good he attempts to come to terms with his life outside the ring: by working full time at the grocery store, trying to reconcile with the daughter who he abandoned in childhood and forming a closer bond with a stripper he has romantic feelings for. -
Photo: www.allmoviephoto.com, by Niko Tavernise
I and Erik went to see "The Wrestler" in January 24. I must say I had no idea what to wait from this film. To be honest, I didn't even want to go to see this film, but finally I agreed. The first frames were somewhat shocking - it was so natural, so overwhelmingly realistic that it made me feel like it was filmed by an amateur! The camera was pumping here and there, the location was like from the corner of addict's temporary homes etc. I was confused... what happens next? But when the film rolled futher and futher, I started to like it more and more. Yes, for a sensitive audience (like me!) some scenes about the wrestling matches were really too much (watching my eyes closed), but the story was touchy and sad... How someone had been devoted to something for a long time, had been very good in what he did and then, one day, finds himself old and outdated... he sees he has nothing else in his life. Mickey Rourke was so convincing in his act that I must say I could easily imagine him to be a professional wrestler. Good film!

Photo: www.allmoviephoto.com, by Niko Tavernise

BRIDE WARS
Writer: Greg dePaul and Casey Wilson
Director: Gary Winick
Cast: Kate Hudson, Anne Hathaway, Bryan Greenberg, Chris Pratt
My vote: 3+/5
-It's a romantic comedy about two best friends who have planned since childhood every detail of their future wedding. Now, at the age of 26, when they're both about to get married and they're about to realize their dreams, they become rivals when they schedule their weddings on the same day and.... the same place... One has to give up! Who will win? Will the friendship broke for good? Photo: http://www.allmoviephoto.com/, by Claire Folger
As this seemed a typical female film, I went to see it with Aune, in January 23. I cannot really name any convincing reasons why this film should be better or outstanding of all other similar romantic comedies. But sometimes women need to watch those! For light entertainment :). And it completes its purpose. While watching this film, everything is simple, yet it's not very obvious how the film will end - will both of the brides get married and live happily ever after or not? I liked the difference in characters - how one of the brides, Liv, was very selfish, always used to get what she wants; and how another, Emma, was more modest, caring about others etc... Suddenly when Emma shows some strong character, too, then Liv is surprised and angry - how a soft cute Emma can be so cruel to her?!? I have to say many of the jokes were already old and stale; yet it was still quite entertaining - just for the purpose it's made for. If you want some light entertainment - go to see it! If not, choose another Anna Hathaway's film - "Rachel Getting Married".

THE YES MAN
Writer: Nicolas Stoller and Jarrad Paul
Director: Peyton Reed
Cast: Jim Carrey, Zooey Deschanel, Bradley Cooper
My vote: 4-/5
-Carl Allen, a guy whose life is going nowhere—the operative word being “no”—until he signs up for a self-help program based on one simple covenant: say yes to everything…and anything. Unleashing the power of “YES” begins to transform Carl’s life in amazing and unexpected ways, getting him promoted at work and opening the door to a new romance. But his willingness to embrace every opportunity might just become too much of a good thing.-
Photo: www.allmoviephoto.com
In January 16, I and Erik went to see the comedy "The Yes Man". I didn't wait too much from it because the stupid characters Jim Carrey usually plays, are too much for me - I've never watched any movie with him till the end - just not my style. This was the first movie I could say was really a bit out of his "normal cast", and I was releaved! The story was funny, the jokes were funny most of the time; and Jim Carrey practiced his face motions only for a couple of times. We have seen better comedies in the past year, but it wasn't anything bad or pointless either - a good honest comedy, with some deep thoughts, too - why are people often reluctant for new, unexperienced things, and why they are not willing to try them, and why do they later complain that their life was boring? These are the questions which popped into my mind watching the film and thinking about it afterwards. It's a perfect inspiration film for depressed people who live in dark winter-time Estonia - to help them come out from their shelves and enjoy the life - no matter how!
Photo: www.allmoviephoto.com, by Melissa Moseley

7 comments:

Martina said...

Karin, what a great idea to share your movies and what you thought about it on your Blog!!! I LOVE movies and I will follow your critics regulary now! =)
Was at the cinemas often as well since January, but it takes a time till these movies arrive here and like "The Wrestler" it stil hasn't arrived at our cinemas at all as all movies are doubt! I see them in German! So it takes some more time....

Karin said...

Great, that you like my entries about the movies! As we go to see films all the time, then I thought it's a good idea to share my impressions with my friends regularly, too! :) To Estonia, the new films arrive quickly since no translation is needed, we watch all films in English with subtitles!

Karin said...

Well, Karin, it was certainly interesting to read your views about these movies. I have seen most of them except The Wrestler, Bride Wars and Yes Man. I really don't like Jim Carey either, but this one doesn't sound too bad though. From the ones that you mention Doubt is by far my favourite. I couldn't stop thinking about it at all. And Meryl Streep... one day she is an ABBA singing mother on a Greek island, the next day this very strict nun.... She is really great. This weekend we watched two movies in the cinema; The Reader ond Wathcmen. The Reader was ok, Winslet played really really well, but they had done something with the film that made it too Hollywood to THE film. But it was good and it's worth seeing. It asks a lot of questions and gives no answers (just a lot like Doubt). Watchmen was good, but it's based on a cartoon and I didn't know anything about before hand. Anyway, a move you should watch is Nixon/Frost - it's the best movie I have seen in 2009. Maybe it's already in the cinemas in Estonia as well?! Anyway, Revolutionary Road was good but I must say that I was slightly disappointed because I had heard so much about it. I think that is the problem sometimes - high expectations... Ha - ha and Titanic is the only movie I have seen twice in the cinema as well... (and Love Actually when I think of it). Hope all is well with you:-)

Elin said...

Ma lähen see nädalavahetus Rentslimiljonäri vaatama...Loodan, et sa kah, siis saame koos muljetada:).Ja loodan, et film on nii hea kui räägitakse...

Ja võid vabalt mu blogi oma listi lisada.Mul pole selle vastu midagi.

Karin said...

Tore! Meil hetkel 3 filmi plaanis (Frost/Nixon, Marley ja mina, Rentslimiljonär). Ei tea, millal jõuame... Sulle häid filmielamusi!

Karin said...

To Karin: Thanks for such a long comment! We both seem to like the same movies, too - again another similarity! :)
I'm also amazed how different characters Meryl Streep can play, and is convincing in any of them!
I so much want to see The Reader, but I haven't noticed it in our cinemas, yet. Hopefully it comes. Nixon/Frost is running. Now, when you mentioned that it's such a good film, I definitely want to see it! Will you go to see Slumdog Millionaire?

Karin said...

I have seen Slumdog Millionaire and it was good. Before I saw it I read that it was supposed to be the movie of the year and so on, but I didn't find it THAT good.But it's different and it's well played and it makes you think how lucky you are:-) But I have to admit that I forgot the movie quite fast - not like Doubt and Frost/Nixon that I tought a lot about afterwards.